You are trying to recover your iPhone settings and the last resort now will be a hard reset and DFU mode. Here are the steps on how to do it:
A hard reset is a method of force-rebooting your iPhone. This is useful if your iPhone is freezing or has stopped responding altogether. On the other hand, the DFU mode reconditions an iPhone if a reset or standard Recovery Mode doesn’t solve the issue.
The DFU mode updates the firmware and restores the OS and lets the device interface with iTunes. This method is also useful for installing older versions of iOS if there are beta malfunctions or the jailbreak failed.
Steps for Hard Reset:
- Press and quickly release the Volume Up button.
- Press and immediately release the Volume Down button.
- Finally, press and hold the Side button (aka power) until you see a black screen, then release.
After about 10 seconds of holding the Side button, your iPhone SE will force a restart.
Steps to Activate DFU Mode on iPhone SE (2020)
- Turn on your iPhone if it isn’t already.
- Connect it to your computer using a Lightning to USB cable.
- On your iPhone, press the Volume Up button immediately followed by the Volume Down button.
- Next, press and hold the Side button (or power button) until your iPhone’s screen turns black.
- Release the Side button and then hold down both the Side button and Volume Down button together for approximately five seconds.
- Now release the Side button, but continue to press the Volume Down button. The screen should remain black.
- Wait for Finder to launch. You’ll see a message promptly saying Your Mac has detected an iPhone in recovery mode. It would be best if you restored this iPhone before using. If you don’t see the message, repeat the steps above.
Once done with the Finder recovery prompt, you can try to restore your iPhone to factory settings by selecting Restore iPhone on the iPhone Recovery Mode screen. Once restored, your iPhone will automatically exit out of DFU mode and boot up to its activation screen.
How to Exit DFU Mode on iPhone SE (2020)
If you enabled DFU mode and want to exit out of it, here’s how it’s done.
- Press the Volume Up button on your iPhone and quickly release it.
- Press the Volume Down button and release it.
- Press and hold the Side button until the Apple logo appears on your iPhone’s screen.
Your iPhone should now have exited DFU recovery mode.