The latest family of iPhones boast some great technologies. While they all have 5G and the A14 Bionic chip, some features such as LiDAR are only available on the pricey iPhone 12 Pro Max model.
It’s standard practice for Apple to introduce and only offer some of its latest features on their highest-end iPhones. They’ve hewed to that practice in 2020 in their iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro models.
In this article, we summarize all the new features and which features are available on which iPhone 12 models.
Just so you know, there will be neither chargers nor headphones inside any of the cases of these iPhone 12 models. Well, Apple claims it’s all about environmental sustainability but it also looks like an inspired decision profit-wise.
Be that as it may, Apple has done well in the quarter ending September 30. People bought more iPads and Macs.
And the demand for the Apple iPhone 12 models is pretty strong going by the preorders.
So, if you don’t have an existing fast lightning charger, you might be stuck with a slow charger or need to shell out a hefty amount to buy a fast charger. ‘All Apple accessories are expensive’ can well be mentioned in small print on Apple product packaging boxes.
What is New on iPhone 12
- While all models of the iPhone 12 will support 5G, only the iPhone 12 models shipping in the US will support mmWave 5G which is the true 5G that supports over 1Gb/s download speeds.
- These iPhones are all thinner than their predecessors at 7.4 millimeters. They are not all lighter than their predecessors though. In fact, the iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone Pro Max are a gram and two grams heavier than their predecessors.
- These iPhones all come with thinner bezels. The new MagSafe magnetic technology is available on all iPhone 12s.
- All the iPhone 12 models have OLED displays with Super Retina XDR display technology. The displays can go up to 1,200 Nits of brightness in HDR but in terms of the standard brightness that you can adjust manually, they can go up to 800 Nits on the iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 12 Pro Max but they can only go up to 625 Nits on the iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Mini. This looks like an artificial limitation introduced via software to make the non-Pro iPhone 12 models look inferior than the iPhone 12 Pro models.
- All the iPhone 12 models get water resistance up to six meters of depth for up to 30 minutes. However, something worth noting is that water resistance is not covered under warranty.
- Apple has fitted ceramic shield glass on the front on all the models which Apple claims are the toughest kind of glass available on any smartphone.
- The iPhone 12 Pro models get 6GB RAM and up to 512GB of storage while the non-Pro models get 4GB of RAM and up to 256GB of storage.
- All the iPhone 12 models get Night Mode in their front camera and rear cameras. This has been around on Android devices for a while now and has reached iPhones now. Night Mode Time-lapse is available on all the iPhone 12 models.
Only on iPhone Pro 12
- Apple ProRAW works on the iPhone 12 Pro models. This is useful in editing. The iPhone 12 Pro offers a telephoto lens with 2X zoom which is not there in the non-Pro models. Apple iPhone 12 Pro also offers Night Mode Portrait capability and Apple ProRAW. The iPhone 12 Pro additionally offers Dolby Vision HDR Video at 60 frames per second. Apple has limited this to 30 frames per second in the iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Mini. This seems to be a software-based limitation since both phones have the same processor.
- The iPhone 12 Pro offers 6X faster autofocus in low light conditions.
- While the iPhone 12 Pro Max has a 2.5X optical zoom, the iPhone 12 Pro has 2X optical zoom.
- There’s an f/2.2 telephoto lens in the iPhone 12 Pro Max versus the f/2.0 telephoto in the iPhone 12 Pro.
- The iPhone 12 Pro Max has a 47% larger main sensor than the iPhone 12 Pro. This means the iPhone 12 Pro Max is 87% better in low light on the main sensor.
- The iPhone Pro Max has a two-second handheld exposure as well as sensor-shift on the main module which means that the sensor is also stabilized and not just the lens.
Different materials, resolutions and prices
- The non-Pro iPhone 12 models have aerospace-grade aluminum frames whereas the iPhone 12 Pro models have surgical-grade stainless steel frames.
- While the non-Pro iPhone 12s have a glass back and frosted glass camera module, the Pro iPhone 12 models come with a frosted glass back and glass camera module.
- The resolution of the iPhone 12 models is 2532 x 1170 versus the resolution of the iPhone 11 models of 1792 x 828 which translates to 460 PPI in the iPhone 12 models versus 326 PPI in the iPhone 11 models.
- The iPhone 12 costs $729 unlocked or $699 from a carrier whereas the iPhone 11 was $699. Apple iPhone 12 Pro is the same price as the iPhone 11 Pro launch price of $999. The iPhone 12 Pro Max is the same price as the iPhone 11 Pro Max launch price of $1099.
The differences between the Apple iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 12 are as follows:
- Slightly better display
- Stainless steel frame
- Frosted glass back
- Telephoto module
- Apple ProRAW
- Night Mode Portrait
- Extra 2GB RAM
- 128GB vs. 64GB storage