A Russian woman died of electric shock after accidentally dropping her phone in her bath while it was being charged.
News.com.au confirmed that Olesya Semenova, 24, experienced a major electrocution and was found dead by her friend Daria at their home in Arkhangelsk.
Semenova had died in her bath, the paramedics who rushed to the scene reported.
“I screamed, shook her, but she was pale, did not breathe and showed no signs of life,” Semenova’s friend told the emergency operator. She added that she had tried to touch Semenova but got an electric shock. “There was a smartphone in the water and it was charging,” she said.
Olesya reportedly had her iPhone 8 plugged into the wall when it dropped into the bathwater, charging it. When the phone dropped in the water, she died of electrocution while plugged into the wall.
A year ago, Semenova, who worked in a clothing store and had an active presence on social media, shared a selfie from her bath.
Do not use your electric devices in the bathroom, authorities say
After the tragedy, an alert was released by the Russian Emergency Ministry, which is the latest addition to the long list of similar cases in the region.
After her death, Russian authorities released an alert telling people not to use electrical gadgets – including mobile phones – once they’re in the bathroom.
“The tragedy once again reminds us that water and an electrical appliance connected to the mains are incompatible. The same applies to any mobile device. If you drown a smartphone, the worst thing is its failure. But when it is connected to the network, we see what the consequences are,” the statement said.
The death of Olesya is one of a number of deaths related to mobile phones in recent years in Russia.
In August, a Russian schoolgirl identified as Anna K, 15, died in Moscow after sustaining an electric shock in her bath.
Last year, an internationally known poker player named Liliya Novikova was electrocuted, too.
The 26-year-old, who was home alone when she died, had a first-class engineering degree from a top Russian university in mathematics.
A similar incident occurred in New Mexico, in which a 14-year-old girl was electrocuted to death while using her mobile phone in a bathtub. Madison Coe allegedly texted a picture of her phone charger plugged into an extension cord before the accident to her friend.
It would be best to check out Amazon sites to make sure you have a discounted iPhone 12 Pro, or Huawei Nova 5T; but make sure you don’t use your gadgets while taking a bath to avoid this tragic incident.