US President Donald Trump signed a new executive order on Tuesday, Jan. 5, banning American transactions with popular Chinese apps, including Jack Ma’s Alipay.
Aside from Alipay, seven other Chinese apps were also included on the list. Here’s the official rundown of the banned apps.
Trump did it again!
As the year starts, President Trump has yet again banned numerous famous Chinese apps, used by most Americans.
On Tuesday, Jan. 5, the president signed an executive order banning a total of eight Chinese apps in the country.
The order will take effect in 45 days, according to the memo.
The newly-banned apps include:
- QQ Wallet
- WeChat Pay
- WPS Office
- apps under Chinese tech giant Tencent Holdings Ltd.
All of these applications were founded by Chinese companies, or mostly invested by Chinese people. This also includes billionaire Jack Ma’s Ant Group Co.’s online payment platform, Alipay.
So far, this app alone has already over 1.3 billion users, around the globe. Obviously, Americans are also part of this population since this app is not exclusive to Chinese people only.
Most of the apps that were included on the list are payment platforms.
Why Trump bans these apps
BBC reported that President Trump has a reason behind this sudden signed executive order.
The order said that “The United States must take aggressive action against those who develop or control Chinese connected software applications to protect our national security.”
It also added that “by accessing personal electronic devices such as smartphones, tablets, and computers, Chinese connected software applications can access and capture vast swaths of information from users, including sensitive personally identifiable information and private information.”
In more understandable manner, President Trump signs the executive order in fear that Chinese companies, aim to steal the personal information of Americans.
Not a new information
President Trump, along with other officials in the federal government, were no silent in their steps to curb Chinese apps off from the country.
They believed that these apps, specifically from China, have been stealing citizens’ information without them knowing.
Last year, several Chinese apps were already decided to be banned by the government. This list includes popular video-sharing app TikTok, along with telecoms giant Huawei.
Just like the new apps that were planned to be banned, President Trump also called out these apps for allegedly stealing information, in disguise of a simple software.
Unfortunately, the application of the executive order, at the time, didn’t push through after court initially finds no reason for the said banning.
The trial, as of now, is still pending in court.
ByteDance, owner of TikTok, even accused US for not taking the case seriously.
“For a year, TikTok has actively engaged with CFIUS in good faith to address its national security concerns, even as we disagree with its assessment,” TikTok said in a statement. “In the nearly two months since the President gave his preliminary approval to our proposal to satisfy those concerns, we have offered detailed solutions to finalize that agreement – but have received no substantive feedback on our extensive data privacy and security framework.”