The USPS delivery car has a new and very unusual design that is currently being criticized by different people on social media sites. The United States Postal Service’s officials conducted a press conference on Tuesday, Feb. 23, to announce that the agency has released a $482 million contract to Wisconsin-based Oshkosh Defense to manufacture a new fleet of delivery cars, which are expected to be rolled out by 2023.
However, different social media users are criticizing the latest design of the USPS delivery vehicle. Why? Because it is very different from the previous one. It looks like a car from a cartoon show. Although this is the case, there are still some people that loved the upcoming look of the popular U.S. Postal Delivery car. On the other hand, there are also some critics that made funny comments about the new delivery car, which is something that can’t be avoided.
USPS delivery automobile’s first look
Car and Driver magazine pointed out that the popular USPS delivery vehicles haven’t gotten a refresh since 1994. This means that the company that will try to redesign this iconic vehicle needs to be bold since many critics will come attacking their work.
The new US Postal Service delivery car’s new design was developed by Oshkosh Defense. The designer stated that it will be called Next Generation Delivery Vehicle or NGDV.
Because of its very weird or unusual design, the USPS delivery car is now receiving different reactions and opinions, with some being negative and others being positive.
Sam Mintz, one of Politico’s transportation reporters, was the one that first tweeted the new USPS delivery car design. His post currently has more than 7,000 retweets, 13,000 quote tweets, and 70,000 likes.
Sam Mintz said that “this is the new next-gen USPS delivery vehicle coming to your neighborhood by 2023.” He added that the new design is “highly polarized responses to this so far, let’s get some real data.”
The popular report even created a poll to find out the majority of the people who like the latest NGDV. The data showed that 40.1% considered it as “sleek and cool.” On the other hand, the remaining 59.9% claimed that it is an “ugly duck.”
The majority of the people have a point since the new NGDV somehow looks like a duck. Its hood is similar to the structure of a duck’s beak while its body looks like the bird’s head.
To give you more idea, here are some of the comments that the post received:
- “Hey Scott, previous mail carrier here. Just to inform you, because you obviously know nothing, the current fleet of vehicles were created before you were born and are no longer efficient for delivering mail for this time (aka packages you get delivered daily). Just another fact..”
- “They could just use sprinters or Ford transit but they gotta waste billions.”
- “Yeah… it’s frustrating to say the least. I’m sorry, do you want to be able to send first class mail for $0.55, no matter where? Or do you wanna pay ups whatever the fuck they feel like charging for longer delivery? One day they’ll miss it if we let it go.”
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.