For those who type much on the iPhone, there are some simple tips and tricks for faster typing. No need to download any apps or anything like that, the features are already built-in to the iPhone.
Before anything else, check the keyboard settings on the iPhone. Go to Settings, then tap General, select Keyboard, and choose which function will be suitable. For multi-language users, go to Keyboards, then choose Keyboard settings, then choose and add the useful languages. Jose Adorno of 9to5mac recommends some simple tips and tricks.
Simple tips and tricks for faster typing:
- Quick Type/Predictions: when typing a prediction bar appears by the top of the keyboard. For slower typer, just take a look at the prediction bar to see if the word intended to type is there. Just tap it instead of typing the word. Quick Type is designed to learn the frequently typed words and it gets even smarter.
- QuickPath: Known more as Slide to type. This feature has been available for quite some time already for Android smartphones and is now available on Apple iPhones. Just slide from character to character and see QuickPath forming suggested words. What is nice is that when a word is finished, it will automatically start another one as the space bar is tapped.
- Text Replacement: Go to keyboard settings and tap on “Text Replacement”. Just add that every time the “omw” is typed in, it will automatically replace it with “On my way!” It’s an awesome trick that one can use, instead of just typing long words or long terms every time.
- Undo typing: some consider this as a gimmick, but it is worth the try. When typing something unacceptable, just shake the phone to undo it. Alternatively, one can also slide three fingers to the left to undo or three fingers to the right to redo the typing.
- Move the cursor: in adding a word in the middle of a sentence, just tap where to insert the word. Or better still, press and hold the spacebar, then move the finger on the keyboard to select the exact place where to insert the word. This can also be done when one wants to replace erroneous words.
- Quick access to numbers: at the bottom left of the keyboard, there is a “123” key bar to tap in order to access the numbers and symbols. However, every time the spacebar is pressed, it will go back to the default QWERTY keyboard. To avoid this from happening, just keep the “123” bar pressed and proceed to type in the numbers or symbols. When the space bar is tapped, the numbers and symbols key will retain and not return to the default QWERTY keyboard.
- One-Handed Keyboard: In using one hand to type, press and hold the world bar at the bottom left corner and choose a keyboard that is inclined more to either the left or right. This will help one to type using one hand.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.