Do you feel that your mobile data is easily consumed? There could be apps that consume so much data, try restricting the background data. Below are steps to control mobile data usage.
When the mobile data is easily consumed even if you are not downloading nor using live streams. There could be some apps in your Android smartphone that secretly eat up so much mobile data. Here are some steps to take in order to control mobile data usage from any apps:
1. Restrict Background Data with the Android’s Built-in feature.
- Go to Settings.
- Proceed to Mobile data, then tap Data usage. The menu screen will show the amount of data used.
- Tap on Mobile data usage to know how much data each app has recently consumed.
- Among the list tap the apps that use the most data.
- Turn off Background data if it is on.
- Turn off Unrestricted data. Or Disable mobile data to other Android phones.
The steps above block the bandwidth-heavy apps from consuming mobile data and set the apps to Wi-Fi only. The other way to restrict mobile data usage is to choose the Data Saver feature which is also built-in to the Android phone. Go back to the Data Usage menu. Then, choose Data Saver. And turn on the Use Data Saver. This will restrict the overall use of mobile data.
2. Set a Data Warning and Usage Limit to control mobile data usage
- Go to the Data usage menu.
- Tap on Data warning and limit or Mobile data limit.
- Set accordingly the data limit for daily and monthly usage.
- Turn on the Set data warning for the daily as well as the monthly.
- Tap Data warning and enter the data value when it will give the warning.
When the data limit has been set, it will automatically turn off the mobile data when it reaches the value being set. The Data warning, on the other hand, only alarms when the data usage has reached the set threshold. The data warning value should be less than the value set for the data limit.
3. Restrict Data Usage on Android with the help of a third-party app
There are several apps available to help regulate the usage of data, NetGuard is recommended. NetGuard is a firewall app that controls the app’s mobile data usage and connection to the Wi-Fi. It gives the option to choose which app should be given access to the internet while forbidding others. Aside from restricting mobile data usage, it consequently reduces bandwidth, prolongs battery life, and helps prevent app notifications, and ads.
NetGuard shows all the apps in alphabetical order. The two columns after the app’s name are toggles for Wi-Fi and mobile data respectively. You can control the access by tapping either or both toggles according to your preference. With the second column as the control for Wi-Fi connection and the third column for the mobile data. Selecting both icons will restrict the app from using any data.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.