Google Meet offers “unlimited” video calls to the users of its free version until June 30. This offer was originally until March 31 only but Google decides on extending it further. This means that instead of a 60-minute limit, users may continue to host video calls up to 24 hours in length or “unlimited”.
Since the start of pandemic, video conferencing apps have been widely used. The pandemic crisis resulted in restrictions in industries, businesses, and even schools. This prompted the increase use of video conferencing apps like Zoom, Messenger, and Google Meet.
According to an article written by Express, Google has a bonus to offer to its free Gmail users that beats what others like Zoom can offer. This extension is available for all Gmail users that use Google Meet for video calls. With this, users may continue to connect and communicate with people all over the world for free.
Extension of the Offer
Google originally offered this feature until September 2020 which was later extended to March 31, 2021. As pandemic crisis continues to affect the world, Google decided on pushing further this feature until the end of June. Though the reason wasn’t explicitly indicated, Google opened doors for people to still continue to communicate using their application for a few more months. Google Meet announced this using their Google Workspace Twitter account saying:
“We’re continuing unlimited #GoogleMeet calls (up to 24 hours) in the free version through June 2021 for Gmail accounts.”
Google Meet is continually improving their services by adding numerous features to make video calls better, easier, and faster for its users.
Google Meet or Zoom?
Aside from Google Meet, other Video Conferencing Apps are available for you to choose from. Each one has its unique features and use. If you are wondering what is the best app for you or your group to choose from, here are some of the edge that Google and Zoom has from each other:
- Google Meet extends their “unlimited” video calls (up to 24 hours in length) from Zoom which only offers free calls for 40 minutes before being cut off.
- For their free version, both apps can cater up to 100 participants. Paid plans vary with its number of participants.
- Google Meet and Zoom are both available in a variety of plans for different monthly costs. This also includes variety of features depending on the plan.
Newest Features Added on Google Meet
Google Meet not only extends free use of their video calls, it also continually improves and adds features that will be useful for its users. Among those new features include the following:
- Tile view now on Android and IOS
- Google Meet users on Android and IOS can now use use the tile view to display 8 participants while in a meeting.
- Polls in Google Meet are now available on iOS Devices
- Meeting participants using IOS devices can now answer and respond to polls.
- Create Breakout rooms before a video call through Google Calendar
- Meeting moderators can now create Breakout Rooms prior to the actual conference. This can be done through the use of Google Calendar.
Latest features and news about Google Meet can also be accessed through their Help Center.
Whether you are a student, a teacher, an employee or a boss, you may take advantage of this great news from Google and use this to continue connecting to other people and to the world.