Unsure whether the antivirus has truly protected you from potential malware attack? Do you need an additional security measure to put? Try to use Microsoft Safety Scanner (MSERT) and see the difference.
Microsoft has provided its Windows 10 users the standalone tool Microsoft Safety Scanner tool, says Mauro Huculak of windowscentral. The tool can scan, find, and remove any potential threat of malware types. Including viruses, spyware, and any unsolicited software that can potentially harm your computer even without installing them on the device.
How does it work?
MSERT is quite similar to the Malicious Software Removal Tool (MSRT), and it performs the same as any regular anti-malware software that can be used on Windows 10. It comes with the same engine and threat definitions from the Microsoft Defender Antivirus. Nevertheless, this is not in any way a replacement for the antivirus software since it doesn’t provide real-time protection or automatic updates. But it offers additional protection as it scans and removes suspected infections which some security software has not detected.
Moreover, the effectiveness of the Microsoft Safety Scanner is only good for ten days. After which, an updated version is needed to ensure that you are using the latest security threats definitions and developments. This article will guide you through the simple steps using the free tool Microsoft Safety Scanner.
Microsoft Safety Scanner: to scan and remove malware
- Open the Microsoft support page by typing microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/products/scanner.
- Select the download Microsoft Safety Scanner link according to what is appropriate to your device (either 32-bit or 64-bit) of Windows 10. To know what bit your system uses, type in settings on the search bar and enter. Select System, and scroll down the options on the left and click about. Under the Device specifications It will show what your system uses either 32-bit or the 64-bit.
- Click the downloaded MSERT.EXE.
- Select yes to permit the scanner to make changes.
- Tick the Accept all terms of the preceding license agreement after reading through and agreeing to the terms and conditions.
- Select the Next button.
- And click the Next button again.
- Select from the option of scanner you want to run:
- Quick scan. This will scan the places of the system where most viruses, spyware, and other potentially unwanted software are likely to be found. If potential harmful software is detected, it will prompt you to run a full scan.
- Full scan. This will scan the whole system. Be prepared though as this will take up longer time.
- Customized scan. This option provides users to choose which folder to scan.
- When Customized scan is chosen, click the Choose Folder button to choose the folder you want the tool to scan. We recommend that you use a quick scan.
- Choose Next. Then it will start scanning.
- After scanning, it will show you if the tool has detected and removed any malware. A list can be seen by clicking the link shown in the scan results. However, if there is no malware, it will show you the Scan results.
- Click Finish.