A gas leak in Downey invaded Southern California and its residents on Thursday at 10:30 in the morning. Emergency alerts within and beyond the area were sent after some time.
The sudden gas leak in Downey, California, was reported on Thursday, which brought forth various notifications sent to Southern California residents for evacuation and emergency. The notifications were sent to the residents’ smartphones as well as other mobile devices in the hope of raising awareness and emergency should the incident escalate.
The natural gas leak incident was said to be reported at 10:30 in the morning, where it occurred near the proximity of the intersection between Rives Avenue and Stewart as well as Gray Road. This report, moreover, was made by the Downey Fire Department. As a precautionary measure, the residents living within the proximity of a 300-foot radius were asked to evacuate immediately.
Most fortunately, however, there were no reports made on any damages or explosions that might have been caused by the gas leak, according to the Fire Department. Furthermore, the nearby residents might be able to go back to their homes before three in the afternoon should the officials allow it.
At 12:30 p.m., the emergency alert was sent to the smartphones of Southern California residents as a precaution. It was comprised of the location where the incident is reported, along with a caution to strictly avoid the said area.
According to the Los Angeles Fire Department on their Twitter account, the reason behind why the alert was sent to residents outside the affected area or border of the city with approximately 12.57 square miles is due to the mandate of Downey City’s officials themselves.
Moreover, the tweet from the Los Angeles Fire Department cited that the city of Downey is under the jurisdiction of the Southern California Gas Company as well as the Downey Fire Department. According to a dispatch supervisor, the Downey Fire Department admitted that the notification sent to mobile devices was possibly sent out to a wider scope than was originally intended and was, in fact, delayed.
Various residents were alarmed about the sudden emergency notification and amber alert today, prompting a number of questions regarding the natural gas leak near Los Angeles.
Other Relevant Stories:
A natural gas leak may occur quite often, especially in high-risk areas. It is dangerous, most especially because it can risk fire and other hazards within the site. As such, the decision to evacuate the residents immediately is called for.
To receive news and alerts immediately, make sure you are well-equipped with the latest technology, such as Apple iPhone 6 16GB Factory Unlocked – Space Gray – ATT Tmobile Metro Cricket or Samsung Electronics Galaxy Note 20 5G Factory Unlocked Android Cell Phone | US Version | 128GB of Storage | Mobile Gaming Smartphone | Long-Lasting Battery | Mystic Bronze (SM-N981UZNAXAA).