Earlier this week, Roblox proved its brand as a game-creation platform rather than just a game.
Roblox’s numbers prove that it is more than just a game; it is a game-creation platform. It has become an indicator for a start-up gaming medium into becoming a linchpin for a broader creator-wise company.
In an interview, Dave Baszucki, the CEO of Roblox, described the company’s future as a metaverse. In his own words, he said, “The types of experiences in the metaverse are going to be supported by engagement, they’re going to be supported by transactions, and they’re going to be supported by advertising.” Additionally, the brain of the company added, “When we look at some of the types of experiences that we can imagine on the platform, there will be some experiences that are more and more subscription-supported, just like many of our experiences are freemium right now. So there is a range of functionality that we will be rolling out over the next few years to support those types of experiences.”
With its fast-pacing advancement, many advertisers are coming to Roblox. Since it is still emerging, its entity to the growing industry is still unknown. Here are the key numbers that show why Roblox is highly regarded as one of the things that the media and tech are
The key numbers:
- Roblox revenue reached $923 million in 2020, an 82% increase in contrast to 2019 figures.
- Hours in the platform: Twitch recorded 9.7 billion hours in the first three months of 2021.
- Roblox’s bookings per active user daily: 46% to $15.48, rising to 161% to $652.3 million in the quarter.
- Growth in engagement: (1) the daily active users outside Canada and the US increased 87%; (2) users age 13 years old above reached a 111% percentage.
- Developer exchange fees are at $118.9 million in the quarter. Roblox will pay out nearly $500 million to developers this 2021. In 2018, that figure was just $72 million. Evidently, this is why Roblox has become a primary part of the creator economy.
Why are the numbers rising?
The rise of Roblox is one of the examples of the pandemic impact. It is among the success stories of this quarantine period, where gamers stay at home 24/7 playing their desired games.
What differentiates Roblox from other games is its steady and increasing numbers; it never showed slowing or decreasing. Its April bookings are predicted to reach around 60%, unlike last year. Hence, even if there are vaccinations, most gamers will still come back to their hobbies, such as playing Roblox.
Last month’s booking is the ultimate proof. It indicates that the gaming platform is flexible; they find new exciting ways to convince people to purchase its in-game currency for upgrades and other features.
Roblox is now a hot topic in the gaming industry. With its growth and continuous increase in numbers, indeed, more and more opportunities are coming along the way. Play Roblox now and know why gamers love it. It is available on PlayStation and Xbox.