Twitter Verified feature allegedly approves fake accounts, until now. Because of this, the giant tech platform decided to delay the feature’s re-launch.
Twitter already introduced its verification feature back in 2017, which allows verifying their accounts. However, the online platform’s blue badge function was paused because it is still incomplete and has some system issues.
It was later re-introduced earlier this 2021. However, it was once again paused or removed because some reports discovered new internal issues with the verification process, especially since Twitter’s feature accidentally verified some fake accounts.
Twitter has now confirmed it will be putting the verification process on pause in order to improve the application and review process. Although this is the case, the giant online platform announced that it would still review some already existing applications, so if you’ve submitted yours recently, you might be able to still get the blue badge of a verified account.
However, Twitter has not stated exactly how the application and review process is going to be changed, and whether the criteria for application would be modified. On the other hand, the company’s spokesperson explained that applications and verification will resume in several weeks, although not mentioning an exact date or timeframe.
Verification Feature Halted, Again
This is not the first time that Twitter’s Verification feature was paused. The company already did the same thing back in 2017 after it received backlash for verifying one of the organizers of the Unite The Right rally in Charlottesville.
On the other hand, Twitter re-launched its verification program earlier in 2021. However, it was once again canceled after the giant online platform realized there’s an overwhelming amount of verification requests.
Some of the issues Twitter was having with the Verified program are related to the fact that the blue badge is regarded by users as an endorsement. However, the giant tech firm explained that the main purpose of its verification feature is to show that your account is active, notable, and authentic.
The giant social media platform provided all the details about the verification’s account eligibility. These include the following;
- Sports and gaming
- Activists, organizers, and other influential individuals
- Companies, brands, and organizations
- News organizations and journalists
On the other hand, there are other requirements that you need to have before your social media account is verified by the system;
- Provide a photo of an official government-issued identification document, such as your Driver’s License or Passport.
- Provide an official email address with a domain relevant to the notability category you choose.
- Provide the link to an official website that references you (or your organization) and your Twitter account.
If you haven’t tried using the social media platform’s verification feature, then you need to follow these simple steps so that you would find it easy once the Verified feature or Blue Badge is re-launched.
- First, you need to open your account
- After that, you need to visit your account’s Settings.
- Then, you need to click the “Request Verification” option.
- Once you clicked the button, you can now provide the required details.