According to last-minute rumors, the MacBook Pro will have a notch at the top for the 1080p webcam and ambient light sensor, but it turns out that information about a notch was shared months ago by a Chinese leaker who may have also been the source of several other rumors about the upcoming 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro models.
“ty98” stated in an August forum post that both MacBook Pro models will have a notch. He went on to say a few more things about the machines, including that they have 1080p webcams and don’t have Face ID, which we’ve already heard about from other leakers.
The leaker claims to have firsthand knowledge of the new machines, claiming to have seen both the case and packaging for the MacBook Pro. Apple is reportedly planning to hide the notch’s design in its marketing materials for the upcoming device.
“Today, I saw the packaging shell,” he posted. “Sure enough, it was the kind of wallpaper with a dark top. If you don’t look carefully, you can’t see the [notch] at all.”
Nothing much is known about this leaker, but he shared details about the MacBook Pro notch months ago, and it appears that the information was correct. Since the notch was first reported, there has been mounting evidence that it exists, including Apple’s own display resolutions, which we discussed in our original article.
Apple has also filed patents for notch implementations in MacBook Pros, and a photo of a notch-equipped MacBook Pro display unit surfaced yesterday. We recently learned that the REvil leak, which saw stolen MacBook Pro schematics released in April, also included photos of a MacBook Pro with a notch, adding to the evidence that Apple has decided on a notch design.
In light of this, we decided to share the rest of the information Ty98 provided in his original August forum post and the subsequent comments:
- There is no Face ID, with the notch to house a 1080p webcam, an ambient light sensor, and an indicator light.
- There will be a mini-LED display.
- The MacBook Pro is “very thick, thick and heavy.”
- The maximum configuration of “32+4T” will be its biggest selling point.
- Apple will add two large fans to the new chip.
- “Don’t expect too much on narrow borders. It is indeed narrow, but it is not much narrow.”
- Touch Bar is gone.
- MacBook Pro models will feature MagSafe, HDMI Port, and SD Card slot.
- No “MacBook Pro” logo on the bottom bezel.
- Bezel width remains at the current size, with the bezels at the three sides basically the same width with the bottom bezel thicker.
- The MacBook Pro “has various curves” to give people an “intuitive feeling that it is a large rectangle.”
Since not everything Ty98 says makes sense, especially when it comes to the thicker bezels, there may be some details lost in translation. The inclusion of very thin bezels appears to be suggested by leaked schematics and a notch design.
The leaker recently shared a look at the “M1X” chip variations, which he claims are representative of the Apple silicon chips that will be used in the new MacBook Pro models, complete with pin counts.
As this forum post is from August and the leaked schematics are from April, it’s possible that Apple has changed design directions and will not release MacBook Pro models with a notch, but there is overwhelming evidence that it was at least considered.
We won’t have to wait long to find out if the notched design will be implemented, as Apple’s event is scheduled for tomorrow at 10:00 a.m. Pacific Time and will provide us with all of the details about the new machines.