All Android users can now transfer their chat history to iPhone thanks to WhatsApp’s recently launched chat migration tool.
The change comes about a year after WhatsApp released the iPhone-to-Android chat migration tool and comes after a small beta test that made the Android-to-iOS chat history move possible.
There are still some restrictions in place, so Android users switching to iPhones must make sure their devices comply. Additionally, they must closely adhere to WhatsApp’s tutorial.
Why is this feature so important?
One of the most popular chat apps for iPhone and Android is WhatsApp. It supports contemporary chat features like iMessage and other tools of a like nature and includes end-to-end encryption for messaging and calls.
Additionally, it is cross-platform, enabling users of the iPhone and Android to text and communicate with one another via a robust instant messaging service.
However, one of the features that users want the most is the ability to move the chat history of their WhatsApp account to a new phone. The simplest upgrades are iPhone to iPhone and Android to Android. Migrations for cross-platform chat were more difficult.
Particularly, after Facebook (now Meta) made the iPhone-to-Android chat transfer possible, moving WhatsApp conversations from Android to iPhone remained challenging.
The chat migration tool is accessible to all Android users wishing to switch to the iPhone, WhatsApp confirmed on Thursday.
Additionally, WhatsApp released a support article that details how to move conversations from Android to iPhone.
Make sure your current Android device and the new iPhone meet the following requirements before thinking about migrating the chat history:
- Android OS Lollipop, SDK 21 or above, or Android 5 or above installed on your Android device
- iOS 15.5 or above installed on your iPhone
- Move to iOS app installed on your Android phone
- WhatsApp iOS version 126.96.36.199 or above on your new device
- WhatsApp Android version 188.8.131.52 or above on your old device
- Use the same phone number as your old phone on your new device
- Your iPhone must be factory new or reset to factory settings to pair with the Move to iOS app and move data from your Android phone
- Both of your devices must be connected to a power source
- Both of your devices need to be connected to the same Wi-Fi network or you’ll need to connect your Android device to your iPhone’s hotspot
You are prepared to transfer your data from Android to iPhone if you satisfy the requirements listed above.
That data will include the history of your WhatsApp conversations. Additionally, you’ll be switching from Android to iPhone using Apple’s Move to iOS app, which will also transfer your entire WhatsApp chat history.
How to move the chat history
- On your Android phone, launch the Move to iOS app and follow the on-screen instructions.
- On your iPhone, a code will be displayed. Enter the code into your Android phone when prompted.
- Continue by following the on-screen prompts.
- On the Transfer Data screen, click WhatsApp.
- Tap START on your Android phone and wait for WhatsApp to prepare the data for export. Once the data is ready, you will be signed out of your Android phone.
- Return to the Move to iOS app by tapping NEXT.
- Tap CONTINUE to transfer the data from your Android phone to your iPhone and wait for Move to iOS to confirm the transfer is complete.
- Install the most recent version of WhatsApp from the App Store.
- Open WhatsApp and sign in with the same phone number you used on your previous device.
- When prompted, tap Start and wait for the process to finish.
- After you finish activating your new device, your chats will be waiting for you.
You should look at this second WhatsApp document if the WhatsApp chat transfer ever fails.
Peer payment messages and WhatsApp call history will not be transferred to iPhones, according to WhatsApp. Additionally, until an iCloud backup is made, WhatsApp data won’t backup to the cloud.